Dr. Sudarshan H was felicitated for outstanding contribution to India’s Health and Development by Voluntary Health Association of India.
Motivated by Vivekananda’s teachings, “They along live who live for others, rest are more dead than alive” and often referred to as a tribal Hero, Dr Sudarshan has devoted his entire life for the upliftment of tribal communities which are often overlooked by the government system. His initiative, the Vivekananda Girijana Kalyana Kendra, which he set up in 1981, has blossomed into a sustainable tribal development program with few peers anywhere in the country.
Dr. Sudarshan was inspired to become a doctor at a tender age of 12 when he saw his father dying due to lack of proper medical facilities. After getting the medical degree, he decided to work for the tribal communities of Nilgiris. He has incorporated traditional medicine into his own practice as well as in primary health centres. In 1986, Dr.Sudarshan founded the Karuna Trust for “Reaching the Health care to the Unreached”. Karuna Trust provides Primary Health Care through Public Private Partnership to 1.5 Million population in 7 States [Karnataka, Arunachal, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Assam, Orissa and Rajasthan] of India in very remote, hilly and tribal areas. Karuna Trust has made several process and technological innovations for providing cost effective health care services. In his selfless and dedicated service to the tribal communities for more than 40 years, his focus was not limited to improving the healthcare alone but he actively fought for protecting their rights and identity.
Dr H Sudarshan awarded “Healthcare Humanitarian Award” by FICCI on 20th October 2021
List of Awards and Recognitions
- Rajyothsava State Award, for social work – 1984. Government of Karnataka.
- Vivekananda Seva Puraskar, (National Award)- 1991
- Environment Award, Government of Karnataka -1992
- Dr B. R. Ambedkar Centenary Award, Government of Karnataka – 1992
- Karnataka State Award for Best Child Welfare Organisation (VGKK) – 1994
- Right Livelihood Award (Alternate Nobel Prize) Sweden -1994, by Right Livelihood Award Foundation
- International Distinguished Physician by American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin (AAPI) -1995.
- Dr Pinnamaneni & Seethadevi Foundation Award Excellence in social work -1995
- Karnataka Jyothi Award – 1997
- Basava Shree Award – 1999
- Padmashree Award by President of India – 2000
- Human Rights Award – 2001
- Mahaveer Award – 2001
- Dr. Baba Saheb Ambedkar Award for VGKK, Govt. of Karnataka – 2002
- Krishnadevaraya Award – 2002
- Devaraj Urs Award – Government of Karnataka – 2003
- Vivekananda Medal – Ramakrishna Mission – 2004
- The PHFI Outstanding Achievement Award (Public Health Foundation of India-PHFI): 2009
- Sagar Award for Social Service: 2009
- Stood Second in the ‘Lifetime Achievement Award (BMJ Group): 2009
- Citizen Extraordinaire Award (Rotary Club of Bangalore): 2011
- Mahaveer Ahimsa Prashasthi (Mahaveer Seva Sansthan, Mysore): 2011
- Distinguished Alumnus Award (Bangalore Medical College): 2011
- Swasthya Bharat Samman (Zee news): 2011
- Swami Vivekananda Award – Ramakrishna Mission, New Delhi – 2012
- Social Impact Award 2012 – Times of India.
- Mother Theresa Memorial Award – 2013
- Chunchashree Award – 2014
- The Social Entrepreneur of the Year Award, India -2014, Schwab Foundation
- International Social Entrepreneur of the Year Award -2015, Schwab Foundation
- Ashden Award for Health and Energy, London 2019